Verse of the week

"For whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."- 1 Corinthians 10:31

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Unified Chicken Drumsticks

I am having problem christening this dish.Since i threw in the stuff as i opened my spice drawer and walked to my pantry.One good thing was,it received 3 out 5 rating from my husband and son.Much improvement over 0,don't you think?
         It has black mustard seed as seasoning,which is quintessential  'South' Indian.Notice the black round seeds in Onion.
mustard seeds
Cumin seeds
Coriander seeds
Then it also has 'Cumin' (thin and  long seeds)and 'Coriander' (round seeds which are certainly used powdered everywhere but as 'seeds' mostly in 'North' Indian cooking.They are  the seeds of  green and leafy 'Cilantro' you buy in store.
I did grind them using my handy dandy Coffee grinder(no i don't use that for coffee!).
When i opened the spice drawer,i saw the Southwest  seasoning by Mrs Dash and i thought why not?Sprinkle a little,it wouldn't hurt.This is where my  'christening' dilemma comes from...I am calling it 'Unified'.Feel free to shoot your naming ideas.
This is what went to it
  • 1 and half small chopped onions
  • 2 chopped med size tomatos
  • 2 Russet Potatoes(Optional,i add them if i feel like it).They are usually big.
  • 5 chicken drumsticks
  • 2 Tbl spoon Yogurt to marinade.
Spices 
  • 2-3 garlic cloves chopped.
  • 1/2 tsp grated ginger (optional)
  • Sweet Hungarian Paprika(Optional,I love saying it,it sounds exotic and so not Indian ingredient)
  • Chili flakes(i like the visual of it better then powder and its more controlled)
  • 1/4- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
  • 1/4 tsp black mustard seeds(optional,you can use cumin / coriander or leave it all out)
  • 1 Tbl Coriander seeds
  • 1 tsp Cumin seeds
  • 1/2 tsp Mrs Dash Southwest Chipotle Seasoning(You can use your fav brand)
Marinade the chicken with 2 tbl spoon of Yogurt,dash of Turmeric powder. Start sauteing the onions in oil seasoned with black mustard seeds while chicken is  marinading.Add the chicken after Onion is translucent.Throw in cumin,coriander ground powder,and other spices listed.Saute it till chicken gets little brown color.Add water ,bring it to boil then simmer it for 40 mins i guess. Voila,you have name struggling dish .



Side notes :
- I wrote  the amount after i cooked,so its approx.
-Poke the chicken with fork or knife and marinade longer if you want to.This was my last minute deal.
-Mustard seeds are optional,you can completely leave them out.However being raised as Indian,i almost always season the oil with different spice seeds while cooking Indian.It adds that extra nuttiness and zing to the dish.
-I peel and freeze my ginger and grate it directly over the dish.Its very potent spice,so not too much.
-Turmeric powder,you can leave if you want to.I would not because my Mom always says "You eat first with your eyes." I know i would  not like the limp colorless look of the dish at the end, besides its good for you.So its a staple spice in my drawer.It perks up the look.

No comments:

Post a Comment

comment