Verse of the week

"For whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."- 1 Corinthians 10:31

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Chicken Enchilada Mixed up

My  first acquaintance with Enchilada had to be when my roommate was invited to her American friend house and they had hands on Mexican cooking.It was decade ago,my beginning months in US.She brought a piece back for me to taste.I loved the taste and she explained to me how it was made and all the details but she didn't know the name,so i asked her to find out next day.And she did came with the name which we both had trouble saying for long time.We said it slowly,dissecting the word in couple of letters(En-chi-la-da).
               Forgotten the name.My next encounter didn't happen until i got married and found out my hubby loves Mexican food  and visited restaurant.Then  i stared piecing it together.It was Chicken Enchilada with green verde sauce,wrapped in corn tortilla.I remembered the tangy taste and look of it.To this day,this is my  most favorite kind of enchilada.First impression has lasting impression as the story goes..
              As you are going along with the story,lets me tell you what i did this in particular instance.I almost never make enchilada unless i have leftover chicken to figure out with what to do.Weird i know.I had lots of different kind of leftover on this particular evening.I had leftover roasted chicken.Some Red enchilada sauce,some sour cream and some picante sauce but nothing was enough in itself and thats where the word 'Mixed up' comes.I mixed my leftovers sauces to make enough sauce for enchilada.This is what goes into this.:
  • Corn Tortilla 
  • Mexican Blend cheese (or Shredded Cheddar cheese)
  • Mixed up red sauce,picante sauce,sour cream(eyeballed)
Filling
Filling Corn Tortilla

  • Leftover chicken 
  • 1 stalk of celery chopped
  • 1 Onion chopped
  • 1 Tomato chopped
  • 1 Tbl Southwest Chipotle seasoning(Use your Favorite)
  • Salt and Pepper to Taste

Brown onion and celery.Add leftover chicken and rest of the ingredient.Cook it and break the chicken into small pieces in cooking process.Add little water and simmer it until you think all is mingled well.Layer the glass baking dish with sauce.Microwave the corn tortilla,so they are pliable.Add the filling,top with some cheese before you close it.Put the seam side down on dish.Top it with rest of the sauce and Cheese.Cook it covered in Aluminum foil at 375F for 20-25 mins.Serve it just by itself or along with Spanish rice/beans.
Placed seam side down in sauced up baking dish

Ready to go in Oven
Ready to eat
Side Notes
-You can use flour tortilla if you like.
-You can use your choice of enchilada sauce and cheese.



No comments:

Post a Comment

comment